Thursday, August 09, 2007

"55" The Speed Limit or Your Age?

My husband turned 55 this past spring. It seemed to be just another number until he started to notice some Senior Citizen discounts applied to him! There seemed to be some perks for growing older and that made him smile. While I am younger than he is, I will be reaching that milestone age soon.
Along with noticing the discounts, I've begun noticing articles written on how to stay healthy as you age. The most recent one I read was about strengthening your bones and joints. Regular exercise pays big dividends for bone health. It can be going to the gym or using workout tapes at home or just getting in a daily walk. Non weight-bearing exercise is good for those with osteoarthritis. (swimming, water aerobics)
Vitamin D is important for preventing osteoporosis as it helps our bodies absorb calcium. We can use 15 minutes of being in direct sunlight a day. (More than that--use sunscreen!) Vitamin D supplements can also be used--check with your doctor first.
Watch what you eat. In addition to providing good fats that can reduce joint inflammation, nuts contain bone-protecting minerals. By substituting nuts for other less nutritious snacks you may maximize the benefits to bones and joints. Walnuts are a good choice because they contain Omega-3's. New research shows that drinking tart cherry juice helps aching pains postexercise. Research has shown that the juice reduces muscle soreness and pain.
Gathered From The Garden has a wonderful "Sore Muscle Relief Lotion." It is very soothing on sore or tight muscles. Check out our website for more info: gatheredfromthegardenllc.4t.com
I know I am really showing my age when I blog about getting older. :)

No comments: