Monday, May 14, 2007

Walking Prayer

I was reading about a "Walking Prayer" on the Care2.com website. It reminded me of a little prayer that I say every morning. I wish someone (could be someone I know or someone I just came into contact with...) love and kindness on this day. I try to send positive energy their way. The "Walking Prayer" is somewhat similar. Here is the article from Care2...


Adapted from Peace to All Beings, by Judy Carman (Lantern Books, 2003).
What a beautiful concept: to spread loving peace with every step. The Native American teacher, Oh Shinnah, says that city sidewalks contain many fragments of crystals, and that these crystals pick up the frame of mind, heart, and spirit with which we walk on them and then transmit them to others. If we keep this in mind, Simple Giving becomes an even more powerful practice.
SIMPLE SOLUTION: Find out how to do this simple walking prayer.

As you pass people, animals, trees, or any beings, silently send out love from your heart. Be aware that the Great Spirit is continually pouring Unconditional Love through you to everyone you see and through everyone else as well. However, it’s up to us to take that vibratory energy and willingly project it out to others. Watch your thoughts, let judgments go, and just feel love, serenity, and joy radiating out to all who come near you.

It is easier to be in this giving vibratory state when you are silent. Once you begin to communicate verbally with others, it becomes more difficult. But the silent giving exercise helps us all to develop the ability so that we can use it when we are talking as well.


This is so simple! I read one of the comments on the Care2 site and they said wouldn't it be wonderful to start an International Gratitude Walk for Peace and Love. And there's the saying-- what goes around, comes around. All this positive energy and love would come back to you! I'm going to try to add this to my walks--want to join me in sending out good wishes to others? Let me know what you think!
To keep your feet sweet on those walks, check out Gathered From The Garden's "Tired Tootsies" foot products. www.gatheredfromthegardenllc.4t.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing that when I think about the "walking prayer" that I am actually spreading love to others when I'm not even realizing it. Being more aware of it is when I really gain a different perpective on who I actually am.

Yesterday I found out that my neighbor died in her sleep early the morning before. I was stunned, not because I knew her very well, but because of the fact that she had lived next door to me for almost over a year, and in fact didn't know her well at all. She suffered from alcoholism, and so wasn't around often, in and out of treatment. She had children of her own, but didn't get the chance to see them much as she didn't have full custody of them because of challenge she faced on a daily basis.

As I learned the news of her condition, I took my little dog, Duke, for a walk. As I walked near their house, I indeed was on a "Walking Prayer" of my own. Without really knowing it I was silently sending love and kindness to her and her husband. It was painful to know that he was home alone without her and that the neighbors around him didn't really know him at all either as they mostly kept to themselves. As I walked my dog down then street and back, not only was I thinking about him and her, but also about my own life. I can send kindness and love their way, but it can't change the fact that I still didn't know them very well. I continued on my walk really appreciating my own life and what I had. How simple it was to spread this type of joy without really having to do anything.

If more people would stop and read about the power of the "Walking Prayer" think of all the love and kindness we would be spreading.

I will join you in your walk to send good wishes to others and hopefully more people will as well!

Carol said...

Wow, that is pretty powerful! We just don't always know who needs that love and kindness do we? That's why I think it is so important to use the Walking Prayer. I'm sure this woman's husband could feel some comfort in the love and kindness you were sending him! Thanks for sharing this story.