Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Sun and Your Skin

Just like most everyone I know, I used to try to get the perfect tan. As a child we never heard of sunscreen much less used it. I've had my share of sunburns and thought of them as just something to get used to each summer.
On a cruise I met a woman who had skin cancer so she was always sitting in the shade. A few years later my sister-in-law had a suspicious spot removed. This made me slather on the sunscreen ( so I wouldn't burn) and put on a hat but it didn't keep me from trying to get a tan each summer. That and knowing the sun causes all of those wrinkles!!
Then one of my coworkers was diagnosed with skin cancer on her face. She had surgery to remove a patch by her nose. She was out for awhile and came back to work with a red face but that seemed to clear up. Sometime later we heard she was going back for more surgery. She ended up having to do a kind of chemo on her face. It basically ate off the top three-four layers of her skin. She looked like a burn victim and felt like one too. Her face was swollen and extremely sensitive. She had to put on the chemo cream each night knowing what pain it would cause.
What seemed like a horribly long time finally passed and her skin started to heal. The only lotion she was able to put on her healing face was our own Goat Milk and Honey Lotion--unscented. I was truly happy to know we were providing her with some relief.
Her face is healed but she is being closely monitored to see if the cancer comes back. After seeing the pain and suffering she went through, there is no way I will sit and bake in the sun. I used to use the self-tanners on just my legs early in the spring. Now if I feel the need for some color I think I will go get the spray on tan. Or maybe I will convince myself that white isn't such a bad color after all.
Please take care of your skin this summer and use lots of sunscreen! A hat, long sleeves, sitting in the shade and using self-tanners or the spray on tans are also recommended. Skin cancer is one of the most common types of cancer!
To try our Goat Milk and Honey Lotion check out our website: gatheredfromthegardenllc.4t.com

No comments: