Monday, March 09, 2009


I'm Older Than Barbie!

Barbie turns 50 this year. I can remember wanting that new doll so bad. I had to wait a bit but I did get my Barbie. She looked much different than today's Barbie. She had short, brown hair modeled after Jackie Kennedy.
Today my granddaughters play with their Barbies. These dolls look much different than mine and have a ton of more clothes and accessories. Barbie sure has endured and for being 50 she looks pretty good!

Just for fun here are some trivia facts about Barbie:

*The person responsible for coming up with the "Barbie" idea was Ruth Handler, one of the founders of Mattel.
*Barbie's boyfriend Ken was named after Handler's real-life son. (He hated being compared to Ken.)

*Barbie's last name is Roberts.

*Barbie's best friend is Midge.

*The first Barbie cost $3.00--I don't remember what mine cost...

*A girl after my own heart--Barbie has had more than 1 million pairs of shoes!

*Mattel estimates that 3 Barbies are sold every SECOND!

*I'll share this with my friends at school tomorrow--Teacher Barbie was recalled in 1995 because she wasn't wearing underwear. What was she thinking?

* And if you have a Barbie from 1959 you could sell her for an estimated $27,450!!! (She has to be in mint condition.)

What is it that makes Barbie so popular with little girls? Do you remember your first Barbie?
Do you still have her?

No comments: