Sunday, January 20, 2008

Joy and The Bucket List

In the movie "The Bucket List" Morgan Freeman's character suggests that to get into heaven you need to answer these two questions. 1. Have you experienced joy in your life? 2. Have you brought joy to others' lives? Two questions worth some thought even if you don't believe you will be asked this at the Pearly Gates!
Have you experienced joy in your life? It's easy to get so caught up in everyday life that simple joys are forgotten. It's easy to appreciate the good things when life is going good. But I think that we can store up memories of joy to help us through and it doesn't take long to stop and smell the roses. Looking at my own life, my grandchildren have brought me immeasurable joy! To see things again through the eyes of a child, to smell that new-born baby smell, to have someone that wants to cuddle with me--that is true joy! Nurturing--particularly my flowers in the summer. Walking through my backyard and finding some new blossom or unexpected seedling brings me peace and joy. Traveling to a new place--seeing mountains, oceans, deserts--the marvels that God has created brings me joy.
Have you brought joy to others' lives? That's a good one to reflect on...Sure, I could say, I've given lots of presents to others. But is that the same as joy? I have started a new prayer each morning..."Let me be a blessing to someone this day." I'm hoping that will bring someone joy. I don't consciously set out to "bring someone joy" but maybe I should. What a different world this would be if our main goal each day would be to spread joy! I feel we should think small bits of joy to start. (Sharing happy memories and experiences with others is one of the most powerful and effective ways to keep the joy going.)
Being joyful has also been linked to improving health. People with a sunny outlook to aging recover more quickly from illness and actually live longer. People who feel joy in their lives also reported fewer illnesses.
One of the ways I experience a very small bit of joy is to have a piece of dark chocolate :) . So I might have to indulge in that a little more often. Another way to experience a little joy each morning is to start with some of Gathered's wonderful Goat Milk and Honey Lotion on my hands. The fragrance of Raspberry/Lemonade always makes me smile! To bring a little more joy into your life check out our website: gatheredfromthegardenllc.4t.com We have many fragrances that can bring a little more joy to your life. Or share with someone to bring some joy to their life too!!

No comments: